Cisco IP Communicator¶
Cisco IP Communicator is a SoftPhone for VOIP communications. Mainly used for Corporations that have Cisco desk phones or users who are remote. The issue is that Cisco Jabber, a SIP client, nor the IP Communicator have Linux versions. Wine will work, but it’s normally troublesome to setup or get it working correctly. There were various issues:
- Moving the Window would crash the application
- After a crash, it was near impossible to get it to open back up
- There was a horrendous noise crackling issue (much like with Skype)
- (VPN/Network) Calls would result in no sound
Installing via PlayOnLinux¶
- Install PlayOnLinux
- Open PlayOnLinux, install a non-listed program
- Select all boxes: Use another version of Wine (only if you want to try another version), Configure Wine, Install some libraries
- Use the system wine first. You can try another version if you’d like.
- Configure Wine -> Override libraries for crypt32, run as Windows XP
- Install some libraries -> POL_Function_OverrideDLL, POL_Install_corefonts, POL_Install_crypt32, POL_Internal_InstallFonts
- Install the application normally by selecting the msi.
- It will crash at the end. This is normal.
- Make a shortcut for communicatork9.
- Run the program normally. It will try a audio tuning wizard. This should succeed. If you hear crackling, this is OK.
- Configure your phone as necessary.
Installing via Regular Wine¶
Most of the steps used for PlayOnLinux can be done in a regular wineprefix. Ensure corefonts is at least done.
Many VOIP applications have a sound crackling issue. Skype is no exception. In a different part of this guide, there is a trick to making Skype be OK. However, that’s for Skype. To fix it system wide, we can do this.
# sed -i.bak ’/load-module module-udev-detect/ s/$/ tsched=0/’ /etc/pulse/default.pa
Killing pulseaudio or restarting your system will allow this to take affect.
### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available .ifexists module-udev-detect.so load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0 .else